Hi, my name is Sam and I’m an early childhood educator who is passionate about literacy, social-emotional development and nature. I have been an early childhood educator in the Bay Area for the past ten years and I am finishing up my third school year as a private tutor. I hold a cleared California Teaching Credential with a Literacy and Reading Added Authorization, which authorizes me to be a reading specialist in California public schools.
I was born and raised here in the Bay Area and spent summers in Sonoma at my grandparent’s home that they bought in the 60’s when they moved here from Ireland. Sonoma has always held a special place in my heart and was like a second home to me. It is a dream to now be living here as an adult and I hope to set roots down for my own family here in the “Valley of the Moon.”
I received my BA in Human Development with minors in Early Childhood Education and Business from Sonoma State. After receiving my BA I moved to San Francisco to acquire my CLAD Multiple Subject Teaching Credential from San Francisco State. I have experience working in preschool and elementary settings, both public and private. I have also worked at summer camps, provided childcare for private families throughout the last ten years and have recently started running parent workshops on kindergarten readiness and beginning reading skills.
As a teacher I have always been drawn to innovating the ways literacy and social-emotional intelligence are incorporated into my classroom. Through Valley of the Moon Learning I hope to help children grow their love of reading and expand their social skill set to become lifelong learners.
- CA Multiple Subject Teaching Credential – San Francisco State (Cleared through BTSA)
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Development with Minors in Early Childhood Education and Business – Sonoma State
- CA Reading Certificate – Reading and Literacy Added Authorization – University of San Diego Extension
- CLAD Certificate – Authorization to instruct English Language Learners – San Francisco State
- Has passed the:
RICA (Reading Instruction Competence Assessment)
CSET (California Subject Examinations for Teachers)
CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test)
- Trained in CPR
- I am a curriculum and blog author for BookNook Learning, an Oakland-based literacy software company that is making reading intervention in schools more accessible than ever.
- I offer parent workshops on Kindergarten Readiness and Beginning Reading and recently completed a workshop series for Parent University in Sonoma.
*If you are a Sonoma County school, organization or non-profit and would like to collaborate, please do not hesitate to reach out 🙂
Create meaningful and innovative learning experiences for children that are tailored to their needs and interests.
Provide resources for families to help support a love of learning with their child.